Latest bunch of parts have arrived! Naturally via Jesse Streeter
2x Double DIN Mounting Kits to suit the centre console
Timing Belt suit F6A
2x Water Pump
Enough Oil Seals for 2x Timing services
Timing Belt for F5B – Pretty damn certain this is the same as the other one
2x Timing Belt Tensioners
2x Complete Engine Gasket Kits – yes, same part number for both F5B and F6A
Thermo fan stopped cutting in again :\
So a couple days before All Japan Day I finally wired in a relay and switch to control the thermo fan manually – and it again seemed to work well.
Couple weeks later I drove to Mikes to discuss Alu radiator, and on the way home didn’t turn the fan on as it was sitting at normal temp – when I turned car off at home it sound like bubbling in the rocker cover 🙁
I’m thinking the head gasket is probably leaking, which isn’t so bad that I have a spare – but is a hassle to do and I should probably check the rings as well, which are very expensive and unique to the F5B
My wheels are on their way, but its sooo slow, 4wks and no tracking update, damn boats!
Bought a tailgate since a couple guys were bringing a container over, will probably use on RSR660, then hand me down the rest. Might be on its way now??
I bought a aluminium radiator off eBay for RSR660 during this ordeal, it was too big for my purpose – but through the same company I’m now getting a couple (one for another Works’ owner) designed, made and sent from China
Still summer, still too hot to do much.
The car started getting hot more often than not, unless I was going over 40kmh it was at the 2nd top line on the gauge.
Swapped thermostat over with a spare, didnt fix.
Eventually checked with Steve and he thought the rad may be blocked – was over 100c at the top of rad just from idling.
Week or so later I went to Mikes and changed the fan switch + radiator to the ones from the Black car.
All is good, in fact it’s probably running too cool now. The thermo comes on in decent time, not sure if it ever turns off though
We have fuel.
Drove it to Mikes, and broke down 100metres or so from his house. He towed me to the shed and I got to work.
4 Hours later it was back together. The positive wire on the pump cradle had come loose on the screw terminal, did it up and wall-ah.
Picked up the new fuel filter (Z518),
Windscreen is finally out, worse rust than I though – but not holey.
Picked up the bits from the powdercoaters, cost was a smidge more than I hoped but still awesome.
Not pictured, lower front crossmember.
Blaaack silicon vacuum hose arrived from eBay, surprisingly quick from HK.
Haven’t really started fixing this car as yet.
Ordered a new fuel filter (Z518),
Found the system from the other white car – tank, pump, filter and lines;
Plan now is to clean out / check these lines and tank and install into RSR550, with the new filter and soft lines.
Am not sure about the fuel pump yet, the above pump isn’t the stock one, I’m not sure of the LPH needed for a replacement. The one currently in RSR550 has allegedly been changed but I don’t know what too — and the tank needs to be dropped to check, and has 27L of fuel in it.
Headed out to the Mighty Car Mods (unofficial) Meet tonight,
Earlier in the day went to Mikes and hammered the rear guards a bit as I’d noticed the tyre has been hitting.
On the way down at the Stirling turn off bridge I ran out of fuel :(, managed to limp the 500 or so metres to the Crafers BP and filled up. Drove the rest of the way to the meet at Gepps Cross no problems (25k’s). Stayed there for about 1.3hrs and headed back towards home.
Did Hindley and Rundle :P, but when I went to take off at Hutt St it died in the ass – same lack of fuel. RAA man hit the tank with a hammer and it got going again and I made it the 35ks home.
Registered, fuelled, driven.
Things to do:
- Swap doors with other white Alto
- Swap tailgate with other white Alto
- Get rear ‘seat’ re-trimmed with later style colours
- Install boost gauge on steering column
- Rebuild/swap steering rack
- Install new outer tie-rods (Chinese ones still haven’t left China..)
Ordered 2 sets of outer tie-rods from a Chinese company for possibly both Altos.
Total cost delivered matches cost of 2 genuine ones – undelivered.
If I’m unimpressed with the quality I’ll only use them on RSR550 and go genuine for RSR660
Update: Enquired about order status; received refund due to parts NLA
Far right pic: New Suzuki Sport for other alto, some local alto, old Suzuki Sport shock, new KYB
Have now installed the new KYBs,
Managed to chop the stubborn rusty bolt off with a angle grinder, reasonably confident the thread is still decent for the new bolt.
Of course I then realised the springs don’t match each other so will have to replace them with a set from the spare Alto,